The Cat® 740 EJ features a world-class cab design, re-engineered using global operator feedback to advance comfort and ease of operation. Enhancements include new controls, transmission-protection features, hoist-assist system, advanced automatic traction control system, stability-assist machine rollover warning system, and a fuel saving ECO mode.
Every Tier 2/Stage II equivalent Cat engine is equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment comp…
- Every Tier 2/Stage II equivalent Cat engine is equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components. The right technologies fine-tuned for the right applications result in:
- Proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreament components for peak performance, longevity and emissions control.
- Improved fuel economy.
- Reduced maintenance costs.
- Advanced MEUI-C injector platforms deliver increased injection pressures and more precise fuel rates. These durable injectors enhance responsiveness while controlling soot.
- Innovative air management optimizes airflow, power, efficiency and reliability.
- The Cat High Density Power Shift (HDPS) nine-speed forward/two-speed reverse transmission designed specifically for Articulated Trucks, features Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) and Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) that deliver smooth gear changes with improved acceleration and higher productivity.
- Gear shifts are configured to maintain direct drive lock-up and minimize dropping into converter drive to maintain ground speed and gradeability.
- Large capacity torque converter ensures maximum power delivered to drive train.
Advanced Automatic Traction Control (AATC) proactively applies inter- and cross-axle differential locks ‘on-the-go.’ Operators are…
- Advanced Automatic Traction Control (AATC) proactively applies inter- and cross-axle differential locks ‘on-the-go.’ Operators are freed from this function to concentrate on driving/loading/dumping. Sensors monitor the machine and wheel speeds, enabling instant response in high rolling resistance conditions. Operation is seamless and smooth, eliminating wheel slip for maximum traction and productivity.
- Clutches are automatically disengaged when ground conditions allow, maximizing efficiency when steering or when on uneven ground.
- AATC reduces tire and driveline abuse, eliminating lost machine efficiencies caused by improper manual operation of the differential clutches and reducing the tire wear.
- Automatic Retarder Control (ARC) automates the retarder for the operator. Like AATC, a number of machine operating aspects are monitored. If required, the engine compression brake is engaged automatically to control machine speed when descending a grade. The system can help towards eliminating engine overspeed, improving safe machine operation and reducing cycle times, yet still having the flexibility of manual control if needed.
- Ejecting material from the dump body can be automated with the new Assisted Ejecting Control. Flick the new load eject switch and the machine will apply the service brakes, switch the transmission to neutral and push the material out at the required engine RPM. Retracting the blade is done the same way, flick the switch and the machine will fully retract the blade.
All three axles promote stability using oscillating a-frames with lateral tie rods. Operate at productive speeds with confidence w…
- All three axles promote stability using oscillating a-frames with lateral tie rods. Operate at productive speeds with confidence while virtually eliminating impact loads on truck components.
- The front suspension oscillates controlled by large-bore, low-pressure cylinders to assist in a smooth ride. An A-frame with lateral tie rod controls sideways movement and aids stability.
- The rear suspension features a walking beam and long-life suspension mounts optimizing ride and load retention.
- New fully enclosed wet disc brake systems inside of axles keeps contaminants out extending machine life and ensuring uptime.
- Hill assist reduces potential 'roll-back' on grades. If an operator stops the machine on a grade, when taking his foot off the service brake pedal the machine will automatically hold the service brakes on for a number of seconds to prevent the machine from rolling backwards.
- Waiting brake applies the service brakes when neutral gear is selected, allowing quick and easy control of the machine at the load or dump area.
Spacious cab delivers comfort all shift long and is 7dB quieter than prior model.Unique combination eject/transmission lever is in…
- Spacious cab delivers comfort all shift long and is 7dB quieter than prior model.
- Unique combination eject/transmission lever is intuitive and enhances cycle times with fewer control movements
- Trainer/passenger seat is fully padded with wide, retractable seat belt for security and comfort.
- New large side storage box is heated/cooled by the HVAC system.
- Air-suspension seat offers greater comfort, with a greater range of adjustments. Fore/aft isolation dramatically reduces vibrations and jolts. Every operator will find a adjustments to ensure comfort and control all shift long.
- Standard cooling/heating system ensures comfort in all conditions.
- Optional four-point seat belt is available to help operator stay in position and comfortable in rugged terrain.
- Integrated, wrap-around dash means all gauges and controls are easy to monitor and access. Automotive feel with Caterpillar's renowned industrial strength.
- The updated touch screen dash mounted display allows the operator to monitor and adjust various levels of machine performance and condition, as well as machine warning categories. These include configuration settings, operator and machine totals, service information, various machine status parameters, machine payload information (when fitted), stability assist, and the video feed from the rearview camera.
- Optional Bluetooth™ entertainment system allows operator to stay in hands-free phone contact.
The 740 EJ can eject and spread the material while moving, reducing additional spreading and dozing equipment. "On-the-go" ejectin…
- The 740 EJ can eject and spread the material while moving, reducing additional spreading and dozing equipment. "On-the-go" ejecting results in faster cycle times and reduced power train loads.
- Ejecting the load without raising the body increases stability, allowing unloading on inclines, side slopes and in very soft underfoot conditions especially on landfill sites.
- The truck can eject in areas with reduced overhead clearance, such as around overhead lines or in tunneling and underground operations.
- The body design eliminates material sticking to the body, which increases productivity, improves fuel efficiency and lowers cost per ton.
- Reinforced body is made from thick high-yield, heat-treated Brinell hardened steel (Brinell 400 on the base and sides) that provides exceptional durability. Ejector top rails are made from high-strength alloy steel. For optimum durability and wear life, the ejector body is designed to work in applications where the material consists of rocks smaller than 152 mm (6 in) in diameter.
- The ejector blade is made from high-strength steel and uses technology similar to that proven in Cat wheel tractor-scrapers.
- A four-stage, high-speed, double-acting ejector cylinder is specifically designed for horizontal mounting and smooth load ejection.
- Box section front frame absorb is stiff to handle torque loads. Frame design decreases stress at the hitch and optimizes suspension geometry.
- Rear frame features twin-box construction minimizing stress points and enhancing service life.
- The articulating hitch provides the truck with steering articulation, and the oscillation ensures all-wheel ground contact in rough terrain.
- Field proven two-piece hitch construction features a durable cast steel head bolted to a hard wearing forged steel tube.
- The 740 EJ body has a large target area to provide consistently high load-carrying capacity. Eject blade and body design aid in clean material discharge, maximizing production and avoiding carry-back.
- The output transfer gear distributes drive to the tractor and trailer and includes a wet clutch differential lock for optimum traction in poor underfoot conditions.
- The full power hydraulic brake system actuates enclosed, oil-immersed, multi-disc, multi-plate brakes with independent front and rear circuits and accumulators. This dual-circuit, all wheel braking system provides the braking performance required to support maximum productivity.
- The parking brake is located on the center axle in an elevated position, it is spring applied and hydraulically released.
Cat Product Link wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performin…
- Cat Product Link wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing. The system tracks location, hours, fuel usage, productivity, idle time, and diagnostic codes through the online VisionLink user interface so you can make timely, fact-based decisions to maximize efficiency, improve productivity, and lower costs.
- Cat Production Measurement brings payload weighing to the cab to help optimize job site efficiency and productivity. Operators can view real-time load weights on the integrated display and know precisely when target is achieved, while cab-mounted external payload lights on all four corners signal the loader operator when to stop, reducing the risk of machine overloading. Operators can track daily productivity from the cab, with quick access to truck payload weights, loads and cycle counts, and daily totals; or remotely via LINK technologies.
- Cat Detect with Stability Assist warns the operator if machine is approaching a pre-set angle during operation; when driving and tipping. If using the assisted hoist, the machine will stop hoisting the body and give an audible and visual warning. The system monitors angles of tractor, trailer and grade independently. This increases operator awareness of machine stability during operation. All tractor and/or trailer rollover events are logged and reported via VisionLink.
Caterpillar design, manufacturing and customer service help ensure peak performance and uptime.Long service intervals keep your ma…
- Caterpillar design, manufacturing and customer service help ensure peak performance and uptime.
- Long service intervals keep your machine operating.
- Lubrication points are grouped near the hitch for fast, easy routine maintenance.
- Universal joints are sealed and lubed for long life.
- Optional autolube system saves time and includes alerts via Product Link for low levels and fault codes.
- Radiator package is located behind the cab for protection and uses extended-life coolant to stretch change intervals.
- Electrical service center is located inside the cab and provides a power port, diagnostic connector and Cat Data Link connector for use with Electronic Technician (ET) software-equipped laptop computer.
- Easy access to transmission, drive shafts, hydraulic pumps and electrical and hydraulic interfaces provided with tilt-to-side cab and access panel.
- Service points are conveniently located on the left side of the engine, under the electrically raised hood.
- Complete customer support is the goal of your Cat dealership. From counsel of product selection, operating costs, operation, maintenance all the way to help with decisions on when and whether to replace or rebuild, your dealer is with you all the way.
Seat belt in use indicator (four-point seat belt available as an option)Operator presence detection (prevents gear engagement when…
- Seat belt in use indicator (four-point seat belt available as an option)
- Operator presence detection (prevents gear engagement when operator is not seated)
- Additional mirror for front of machine visibility
- Cab mounted, wide angled, folding mirrors
- Heated mirrors (optional)
- Body raised visual indicator
- Cab integral Roll Over Protection System (ROPS) and Falling Object Protection System (FOPS)
- Electro-hydraulic secondary steering system automatically activates in forward/reverse or when stationary if low pressure is sensed and can be manually selected for machine recovery purposes
- Extensive handrails
- External electrical system disconnect switch for easy access from outside of the machine
- Fire extinguisher in-cab mounting point
- Fully raised body locking pin
- Ground level external engine fuel cut-off switch provides easy access outside of the machine
- In-cab emergency brake switch (tertiary)
- Internal and external grab handles
- LED-flashing beacon (optional)
- Maximum speed limiter
- Multiple camera compatible
- New access lights
- Rearview camera system is fitted as standard
- Reversing indicator
- Slip resistant walkways – punched steel plate
- The parking brake functions are spring applied and hydraulic released
- Cat Detect with Stability Assist
Caterpillar designs and functions with great concern for the environment.Cat C18 engine incorporates the Cat Clean Emission Module…
- Caterpillar designs and functions with great concern for the environment.
- Cat C18 engine incorporates the Cat Clean Emission Module (CEM) to meet Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards. The system uses both Ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel or up to B20 bio-diesel blended with ULSD.
- All Cat C Series Articulated Trucks are designed for long lifecycles with machines using reman components and machine rebuilds to maximize use of every part, minimizing waste.
- Volume of both hydraulic and engine oil systems has be reduced meaning less waste when oils are replaced.
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Combined gear selection and eject control lever
- Windshield wiper and washer, two speed, intermittent (front)
- Heater and defroster with variable speed fan
- Machine operation monitoring system includes:
– Action lamp
– Engine oil pressure
– Primary steering system
– Left and right turn signal
– High beam
– Coolant temperature
– Parking brake
– Fuel level
– Transmission oil temperature
– Brake system
– Transmission hold
– Hoist control
– Hydraulic system
– Charging system
– Transmission fault
– Traction control system
– Check engine lamp
- Glass windows: laminated and tinted-front toughened and tinted-sides and rear
- Adjustable air vents
- Window blinds
– Cup holder
– Flask receptacle
– Under seat storage
– Door pocket
– Behind seat storage
– Coat hook
- Windows opening side, tinted
- Mirrors: Extensive arrangement for improved visibility
- Liquid Crystal Display (LCD):
– Alert indicator
– Selected gear and direction
– Speed or auto shift
– Review Operation and Maintenance Manual (OMM)
– Primary steering failure
– Seat belt warning
– Secondary steering failure
– DPF regeneration filter
– Machine Security System (MSS)
– Secondary steering energy source engaged
– Hour meter
– Retarder active
- Sun visor
- Two seat belts, operator's retractable
- Windshield wiper and washer, two speed (rear)
- Secondary steering – electro hydraulic
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Air conditioning with R134A refrigerant
- Touch screen display incorporating the rearview camera video feed
– Fully adjustable, air suspension
– Padded trainer with lap belt
- Product Link: PL631 (satellite) or PL641 (cellular) dependent on location and licensing agreement
- Cat Detect with Stability Assist
ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING
- Batteries (two) maintenance free
- Electrical system: 24 volt, 5A 24- to 12-volt converter
- Lighting Systems:
– Cab interior
– Two head lamps
– Two width marker
– Two reversing
– Work light
– Two stop/tail lights
– Front and rear direction indicators
- Main disconnect switch
- Remote starting receptacle (cables not included)
- Auto shift nine-speed forward and two reverse transmission
- Cat C18 engine
- Differentials: standard with automatic clutched inter and cross-axle differential locks
- Dual circuit oil immersed, enclosed brakes – all wheels
- Retarder: engine compression brake
- Three axle, six-wheel drive
- Reverse alarm
- Rearview camera
- ROPS/FOPS cab
- Rear window
- Front dump body spill guard, integral part of fabricated body
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
- Mud flaps: wheel arch and body mounted with transportation tiebacks
- S·O·S sampling valves
- Tires, six 29.5R25, radial
- Vandalism protection: lockable caps for fuel tank and hydraulic oil tank
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Auto lube installation for automatic greasing of bearings
- Body liners
- Bluetooth radio stereo system
- Cat Production Measurement payload monitoring system
- Cold weather coolant –51° C (–60° F)
- Cold weather start attachment
- Engine block heater
- Ether start
- Exhaust heated body
- Fast fuel fill
- Fender extension
- Flashing LED beacon
- Four point seat belt
- Fuel additive – anti-waxing
- Heated rearview motorized mirrors
- Machine Security System (MSS)
- Product Link Elite: PLE631 (satellite), PLE641 (cellular)
- Roof mounted High Intensity Discharge (HID) work lights
- Seat (deluxe) heated/cooled, half leather, air adjustable lumbar and air adjustable bolsters
- Sound suppression
- 875/65 R29 wide tires
Engine Model Cat® C18 Bore 5.7 in Stroke 7.2 in Displacement 1106 in³ Net Power - ISO 14396 504 HP Net Power - SAE J1349 496 HP Gross Power - SAE J1995 511 HP Engine Model - U.S. EPA Tier 2, EU Stage II Equivalent Cat C18 Peak Engine Torque Speed 1200 r/min Note (3) Net power when the fan is at maximum speed is 348 kW (467 hp) per the SAE reference conditions. No Engine De-rating Required Below 10000 ft Note (2) The net power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with alternator, air cleaner, muffler and fan at minimum speed. Emissions The 740 EJ meets Tier 2/Stage II equivalent emission standards. Peak Engine Torque Gross (SAE J1995) 1931 ft·lbf Peak Engine Torque Net (SAE J1349) 1887 ft·lbf Note (1) The power ratings apply at rated speed of 1,700 rpm when tested under the conditions for the specified standard.
Rated Payload 42 ton (US)
Heaped (SAE 2:1) 30.1 yd³ Struck 23.5 yd³
Forward - 1 3.8 mile/h Forward - 2 5 mile/h Forward - 3 7 mile/h Forward - 4 8.8 mile/h Forward - 5 11.6 mile/h Forward - 6 14.2 mile/h Forward - 7 19.6 mile/h Reverse - 1 4 mile/h Reverse - 2 9.1 mile/h Forward - 8 23.5 mile/h Forward - 9 34 mile/h
Interior Cab 72 dB(A) Note (1) The operator sound exposure Leq (equivalent sound pressure level) measured according to the work cycle procedures specified in ANSI/SAE J1166 OCT98 is 76 dB(A), for the cab offered by Caterpillar, when properly installed and maintained and tested with the doors and windows closed. Note (2) Hearing protection may be needed when operating with an open operator station and cab (when not properly maintained or doors/windows open) for extended periods or in noisy environments.
Center Axle - Empty 17267 lb Center Axle - Rated Load 40120 lb Front Axle - Empty 42243 lb Total - Empty 77698 lb Total - Loaded 161473 lb Center Axle - Loaded 57386 lb Rear Axle - Loaded 56809 lb Rear Axle - Rated Load 40120 lb Front Axle - Rated Load 3534 lb Total - Rated Load 83776 lb Front Axle - Loaded 47276 lb Rear Axle - Empty 16689 lb
Type High Strength Brinell HB450 Wear Resistant Steel Front 0.28 in Base 0.55 in Side 0.43 in Chute 0.55 in
Service Refill Capacities
Fuel Tank 145.3 gal (US) Cooling System 23.7 gal (US) Engine Crankcase 13.7 gal (US) Transmission - OTG 19.8 gal (US) Steering/Hoist Hydraulic System 36.9 gal (US) Brake Cooling Tank 17.7 gal (US) Final Drive - Each 1.3 gal (US) Axles - Each 15.8 gal (US)
Lock to Lock 4.8 seconds @ 60 rpm
Brakes ISO 3450 – 2011 Cab - FOPS ISO 3449 Level II – 2005 Cab - ROPS ISO 3471 – 2008 Steering ISO 5010 – 2007
Turning Dimensions - Aisle Width 233 in Note Dimensions are for machines equipped with 29.5R25 tires. Turning Dimensions - Clearance Radius 356 in Turning Dimensions - Inside Radius 173 in Turning Dimensions - SAE Turning Radius 339 in Turning Dimensions - Steer Angle - Left/Right 45 deg
Retract (manual) 21 s Retract (automatic) 21 s Eject (automatic) 16 s Eject (manual) 17 s
Optimal Loader/Truck Pass Matching
Note An optimum system match gives you a major productivity advantage. Having matched loading and hauling tools results in increased production and lower system costs per unit of volume moved. Wheel Loader: 980 - Passes 43926 Wheel Loader: 972 - Passes 43926 Hydraulic Excavator: 390 - Passes 4 Wheel Loader: 982 - Passes 4 Hydraulic Excavator: 374 - Passes 5
Frequently Compared Machines
See how this model compares against similar machines to find the perfect match.
We have an extensive team of experts to help you enhance every aspect of your operations.