Engineered for demanding work. The D9R's durable construction is made for tough working conditions. It keeps material moving with the reliability and low operating costs you expect from Cat dozers.
The 3408C engine is a field proven engine that delivers excellent reliability and durability in all applications.
Two Pass Cooling System
Circulates coolant from the sectioned bottom tank up through one side of the cooling element and down through the other side retur…
The proven Cat planetary power shift transmission operates with three speeds forward and three speeds reverse. With this design, m…
Torque Divider Performance
An improved single-stage torque converter sends 75% of engine torque through a converter and 25% through a direct drive shaft for…
Provides the operator instant feedback on the condition of operating systems and records performance data to help diagnose problem…
The D9R mainframe is built to absorb high impact shock loads and twisting forces encountered during severe dozing and ripping appl…
The elevated sprocket and fully suspended undercarriage work together, increasing traction while creating a smoother ride for your…
- Bogie Suspension allows the track to conform to ground condition, providing up to 15% more ground contact, especially in hard, uneven terrain. Higher traction means less slippage, better balance, and a smoother ride.
- Roller frames are tubular to resist bending and twisting, with added reinforcement where operating loads are highest.
- The undercarriage idler guard provides additional wear protection from abrasive material to the moving undercarriage. Includes rubber idler protectors.
All blades feature a strong box-section design that resists twisting and cracking. Blades are made of high tensile strength steel…
- High-Capacity Universal Blade – Efficient at moving big loads over long distances.
- Semi-Universal Blade – Built for tough applications in tightly packed material where penetration is important.
- Optional Dual Tilt – Allows the operator to optimize the blade pitch angle.
- Cutting Edges and End Bits – Cutting edges are DH-2™ steel. End bits are DH-3™ to provide maximum service life in tough materials. For extremely severe applications, moldboard wear plates, extended wear life end bits and cutting edges are available.
- Cat Work Tools offer a range of special application blades, including coal stockpile blade, cushion dozer blade, reclamation blades and wood chip blade.
Built-In Servicing Ease
Major components are made as modules and can be removed without disturbing or removing others.
Dealers committed to fast, quality customer support. Your Cat dealer's investment in service begins with the fastest and most comp…
- Alternator, 75 amp
- Back-up alarm
- Batteries, 12-volt (2), 190 amp-hour
- Converter, 10-volt, 10 amp
- Horn, forward warning
- Lighting system: – Two on fender facing forward – Two on fender facing rearward – Two on top of the lift cylinders
- Starting receptacle
- Canopy, ROPS/FOPS
- Cat D9R Monitoring System
- Decelerator and governor control
- Hydraulic control lever restraints
- Hydraulic system, four valve
- Mirror, rearview
- Seat, cloth with mechanical suspension
- Seat belt, retractable 76 mm (3 in)
- 610 mm (24 in) extreme service grouser with sealed and lubricated PPR track (43 section)
- Lifetime lubricated rollers and idlers
- Pinned equalizer bar with remote greasing location
- Sprocket rim segments, replaceable
- Suspension-type undercarriage, eight-roller tubular track roller frame
- Track adjusters, hydraulic
- Track guides
- Two-piece master links
- 3408C DITA diesel engine
- Advanced Modular Cooling System (AMOCS)
- Blower fan
- Clutch-brake with combined steering and brake control levers
- Coolant, extended life
- Drains, ecology fluid
- Final drives, three planet double reduction planetary
- Fuel priming pump
- Power shift transmission (3F/3R)
- Precleaner with dust ejector
- Separator, water/fuel
- Thermal shield
- Torque divider
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
- CD ROM parts book
- Engine enclosure
- Guards – bottom, hinged extreme service with front towing device
- Hinged radiator guard doors
- Load sensing hydraulics
- Mounting, lift cylinders
- Rain cap
- Service instructions, international
- Vandalism protection (8 caplocks)
- Alternator, 105 amp
- Battery: – Arctic (includes four batteries) – Heavy Duty (includes four batteries)
- Converter, 24-volt to 12-volt (includes 20 amp converter)
- Lights, 10 halogen: – Two on fender facing forward – Two on fender facing rearward – Four on top of lift cylinders – Two on sides of ROPS facing rearward
- Dozer lines
- Fuel tank
- Rear screen
- Undercarriage idlers
- Air conditioner (under hood, fender or ROPS)
- Cab (standard, arctic or steel mill)
- Seat: – Vinyl seat with mechanical suspension – Cloth seat with air suspension
- 3408C, U.S. EPA Tier 1 Equivalent
- Coolant – arctic
- Ether starting aid
- Fan: – Desert – Reversible
- Fast fuel system
- Final drives: – Guarded – Cold weather – Steel mill
- Grid, radiator core protector: – Grid, coated radiator core protector
- Lubrication: – Arctic – High ambient – Steel mill
- Precleaner, turbine or turbine with screen
- Prelube engine
- Radiator: – Copper-nickel (in conditions with airborne abrasive materials) – High ambient
- Tracks, PPR, sealed and lubricated
- 560 mm (22 in) Extreme Service
- 610 mm (24 in) Extreme Service circular holes
- 610 mm (24 in) Super Extreme Service
- 610 mm (24 in) Super Extreme Service Steel Mill
- 685 mm (27 in) Extreme Service
- 685 mm (27 in) Extreme Service circular holes
- 685 mm (27 in) Super Extreme Service
- 760 mm (30 in) Moderate Service
- Carrier rollers
- Carrier rollers, cold weather
- Undercarriage arrangements: – Cold weather – Steel mill
- Heavy construction
- Steel mill
- 9SU blade
- 9SU abrasion resistant blade
- 9SU abrasion resistant blade, black
- 9U blade
- 9U abrasion resistant blade
- 9U abrasion resistant blade, black
- Dual tilt
- Drawbar rear
- Single shank ripper
- Multi shank ripper
- Multi shank ripper – steel mill
- Pin puller (single shank only)
- CapSure Hammerless Installation and Positive Retention System: – Single shank – Multi shank – Single shank deep
- Cellular Product Link
- Fuel lines, heater
- High speed oil change system
- Paint: – Black paint on hood and top of radiator guard – Corrosion resistant
Engine Model Cat® 3408C Flywheel Power 405 HP Bore 5.4 in Stroke 6 in Displacement 1099 in³ Net Power - SAE J1349/ISO 9249 405 HP Engine Power - Net Power - SAE J1349/ISO 9249 405 HP Engine Power - Gross Power - SAE J1995* 443 HP Note (1) Capable of meeting U.S. EPA Tier 1 Equivalent. Note (2) Engine ratings apply at 1,900 rpm. Note (4) No derating required up to 2286 m (7,500 ft) altitude. Engine Power - EU 80/1269 405 HP Note (3) Net power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with fan, air cleaner, muffler and alternator. Note * Excludes all fan losses. Emissions Optional U.S. EPA Tier 1 Equivalent
Operating Weight 107550 lb Shipping Weight 79705 lb Note (2) Shipping Weight: Includes clutch/brake arrangement, lubricants, coolant, 20% fuel and ROPS, FOPS cab and 610 mm (24 in) extreme service shoes. Note (1) Operating Weight: Includes clutch/brake arrangement, lubricant, coolant, 100% fuel, hydraulic controls and fluids, 610 mm (24 in) extreme service shoes, SU-Blade, single-shank ripper, ROPS, FOPS cab and operator.
1 Forward 2.4 mile/h 2 Forward 4.2 mile/h 3 Forward 7.4 mile/h 1 Reverse 2.9 mile/h 2 Reverse 5.2 mile/h 3 Reverse 9.1 mile/h 3 Forward - Drawbar Pull 49000 lbf 2 Forward - Drawbar Pull 90000 lbf 1 Forward - Drawbar Pull 163000 lbf
Pump Type Piston-type geared from flywheel Pump Output - Implement 63.1 gal/min Tilt Cylinder Flow - Rod End Flow 36.4 gal/min Tilt Cylinder Flow - Head End Flow 44.2 gal/min Bulldozer Relief Valve Setting 3800 psi Tilt Cylinder Relief Valve Setting 2800 psi Ripper - Lift - Relief Valve Setting 3800 psi Ripper - Pitch - Relief Valve Setting 3800 psi Note (1) Implement Pump output measured at 1,900 rpm and 6895 kPa (1,000 psi). Note (2) Complete system consists of pump, tank with filter, valves, lines, linkage and control levers.
Shoe Type Extreme Service Width - Shoe 24 in Shoes/Side 43 Pitch 9.44 in Ground Clearance 23.4 in Track Gauge 88.6 in Length - Track on Ground 136.6 in Ground Contact Area 6569 in² Track Rollers/Side 8 Grouser Height - Extreme Service (ES) 3.3 in Note Positive Pin Retention Track.
Service Refill Capacities
Fuel Tank 235 gal (US) Cooling System 43 gal (US) Engine Crankcase* 12 gal (US) Power Train 43.4 gal (US) Final Drive - Each 3.9 gal (US) Roller Frames - Each 11.9 gal (US) Pivot Shaft Compartment 7.9 gal (US) Hydraulic Tank 20.4 gal (US) Note * With oil filters.
Blades - 9SU
Ground Clearance 56 in Height 6.35 ft Weight* - Without Hydraulic Controls 15130 lb Capacity - SAE J1265 17.7 yd³ Total Operating Weight** - With Blade and Single-Shank Ripper 107550 lb Width - Over End Bits 14.14 ft Digging Depth 23.9 in Maximum Tilt 37 in Note (1) * Includes blade tilt cylinder. Note (2) ** Total Operating Weight: Includes hydraulic controls, blade tilt cylinder, coolant, lubricants, 100% fuel, ROPS, FOPS cab, Blade, Single-Shank Ripper, 610 mm (24 in) ES shoes, and operator.
Blades - 9U
Ground Clearance 56 in Maximum Tilt 39.9 in Width - Over End Bits 15.25 ft Weight* - Without Hydraulic Controls 16288 lb Digging Depth 23.9 in Height 6.35 ft Total Operating Weight** - With Blade and Single-Shank Ripper 108890.59 lb Capacity - SAE J1265 21.4 yd³ Note (2) ** Total Operating Weight: Includes hydraulic controls, blade tilt cylinder, coolant, lubricants, 100% fuel, ROPS, FOPS cab, Blade, Single-Shank Ripper, 610 mm (24 in) ES shoes, and operator. Note (1) * Includes blade tilt cylinder.
Rippers - Adjustable Parallelogram+Multi-shank
Number of Shank Holes 2 Overall Beam Width 52.4 in Weight - With One Shank 9156 lb Maximum Penetration Force - Shank Vertical 34621 lbf Pry-Out Force - Multi-Shank Ripper with One Tooth 81156 lbf Maximum Penetration - Standard Tip 31.4 in Total Operating Weight* - With SU-Blade and Ripper 106309 lb Maximum Clearance Raised - Under Tip, Pinned in Bottom Hole 34.6 in Note (1) * Total Operating Weight: Includes hydraulic controls, blade tilt cylinder, coolant, lubricants, full fuel tank, ROPS, FOPS cab, SU-Blade, Ripper, 610 mm (24 in) ES shoes, and operator. Note (2) +Includes (1) shank, add 347 kg for each additional shank.
Rippers - Adjustable Parallelogram Single-Shank Standard/Deep
Maximum Clearance Raised - Under Tip, Pinned in Bottom Hole 882 mm/817 mm (34.7 in/32.2 in) Total Operating Weight* - With SU-Blade and Ripper 107550 lb Pry-Out Force 332 kN/331 kN (74,637 lbf/74,412 lbf) Weight - With One Shank 4293 kg/4420 kg (9,464 lb/9,744 lb) Number of Shank Holes 3-Mar Maximum Penetration - Standard Tip 1231 mm/1727 mm (48.5 in/68 in) Note (1) * Total Operating Weight: Includes hydraulic controls, blade tilt cylinder, coolant, lubricants, full fuel tank, ROPS, FOPS cab, SU-Blade, Ripper, 610 mm (24 in) ES shoes, and operator. Overall Beam Width NA Maximum Penetration Force - Shank Vertical 158 kN/172 kN (35,520 lbf/38,667 lbf) Note (2) Single-shank ripping arrangement weight includes pin puller.
Winch Model PA140VS Weight* 3950 lb Oil Capacity 4 gal (US) Increased Tractor Length 21.9 in Drum Width 12.6 in Wire Cable Diameter - Recommended 1.13 in Wire Cable Diameter - Optional 1.25 in Maximum Drum Capacity - Recommended Cable Length 257 ft Maximum Drum Capacity - Optional Cable Length 204 ft Wire Cable Ferrule Size - Outside Diameter 2.4 in Wire Cable Ferrule Size - Length 2.8 in Note (2) Variable speed, hydraulically driven, dual braking system, three‑roller fairlead. Note (1) * Weight: Weight shown is base winch only. Does not include mounting arrangement, control arrangement, oil, or wire rope. With counterweight: 3700 kg (8,150 lb).
Length - Basic Tractor - With Drawbar 204 in Height - Top of Stack* 157.7 in Track Gauge 88.6 in Ground Clearance* 23.4 in Height - ROPS/Canopy* 157.5 in Overall Length - Basic Tractor 193.3 in Note (1) *Includes grouser height for total dimensions on hard surfaces. Length - Track on Ground 136.6 in Length - With U-Blade 274.3 in Drawbar Height (Center of Clevis)* 30.1 in Length - With SU-Blade** 270.9 in Overall Length - SU-Blade/SS Ripper 324 in Width - Without Trunnions - Standard Shoe 113.4 in Height - FOPS Cab* 150.4 in Width - Over Trunnions 129.9 in Length - With Multi-Shank Ripper 257.4 in Length - With Single-Shank Ripper 257 in Length - Basic Tractor - With Winch 218.3 in Note (2) **Includes drawbar.
Sound The declared dynamic operator sound pressure level is 85 dB(A) when "ISO 6396:2008" is used to measure the value for an enclosed cab. The measurement was conducted at 100% of the maximum engine cooling fan speed. The cab was properly installed and maintained. The measurement was conducted with the cab doors and the cab windows closed. ROPS ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) offered by Caterpillar for the machine meets ROPS criteria ISO 3471:2008. Note Hearing protection may be needed when the machine is operated with an open operator station for extended periods or in a noisy environment. Hearing protection may be needed when the machine is operated with a cab that is not properly maintained or when the doors and windows are open for extended periods or in a noisy environment. FOPS FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 Level II. Brakes Brakes meet the standard ISO 10265.
Frequently Compared Machines
See how this model compares against similar machines to find the perfect match.
We have an extensive team of experts to help you enhance every aspect of your operations.